I no longer post to this blog but
you can check out the new BA Farm Blog at:
http://realveggiesfarm.blogspot.com

Saturday, April 11, 2009

Recipe: Whole Stuffed Pumpkin

Ok, I will have to admit that, for some reason, I have a hard time, finding the time to stop what I am doing to cook a good meal. Between my job, taking care of my many birds, two dogs and of course vegetables and everything involved with markets, I just have a hard time stopping myself long enough to cook. Don't get me wrong I love cooking with our vegetables, but I would really love to cook more than I do. I guess that is just something that I will have to continue to work on. That is the reason why whenever I provide recipes it is usually a link to some good recipes that I would love to try myself because it sounds good, and not a recipe that I have tried myself.

Anyhow, after all that rambling on and on and on (for some reason I like to do that), I will get to the actual point. I just thought that I would share with you a recipe that I have actually tried myself and that I liked very much. This winter I had a lot of pie pumpkins stored away in the basement. Last year we had a horrible pumpkin year and actually harvested only a few pumpkins that were not of the best quality. So I ended up getting a whole bunch from our friends over at The Apple Cabin in Lodi. I just had to have some for pumpkin pie and other things. I came across this recipe when I was trying to find new different things to do with the pumpkins. What do you know I am rambling on and on again, anyhow here is the recipe.


Whole Stuffed Pumpkin
1 small pumpkin
1 lb. Italian Sausage
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
1 egg beaten
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 tsp. salt

Cut the top of the pumpkin off and scoop out seeds, or cut pumpkin in half and scoop out seeds. Place the pumpkin in a large kettle and cover with boiling water. Simmer 30 minutes or until tender. Meanwhile saute sausage until browned, and onions, celery, and mushrooms, cook till mostly done. Combine egg, sour cream and salt. Mix with meat. Fill well drained pumpkin. Bake at 350 degrees approximately 30 minutes.


I wish I would have taken a picture but I did not. Oh well, maybe next time. I liked this recipe because it is something to do with pumpkin and winter squash that can be an entire meal, and does not involve a bag of brown sugar and stick of butter. Don't get me wrong, I love winter squash with lots and lots of brown sugar and butter. It is just something different for a change.

------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope everyone has a wonderful, Happy Easter!

No comments:

Post a Comment